Monday, April 14, 2014

City Island On A Sunday Evening

Last night....was big excitement.
Dad came home from a week long trip he had to take for work.  He got home and we were so so excited to him.  It was a long week for both Mike and me.  

I felt like I was non stop running shuffling kids to and from places last week and ..... 

Mike.....well he ended up at the ER in Chicago with a kidney stone.  When he got home, he was needles to say tired and fatigued from his long trip and all of his ailments.  So what do we do when we are tired, hungry, but don't want to cook or do dishes?



The "hospital" cafeteria awaits us with smiles, free food (he has built up quite a credit), no dishes, and the best view of the city.

Once we got home from the hospital Mike crashed.  I got my second wind because the weather was just gorgeous and I had no dishes to do.  The sunset was amazing. So on a whim I put Sammy to bed, loaded up my three oldest and headed to City Island.

 City island is only a few miles from my house, and is tiny island with a park, a baseball field, bike trails, and people of all sorts.  It kind of reminds me of "Liberty Park" in Salt Lake City, where I grew up.  There are all types of people everywhere, and it is always crowded when the weather is beautiful.  The sun sets and shines on the Susquehanna river....and it is always stunning.  Especially when the "sun" hasn't been shining all winter long.     

We didn't have much time at the island before the sun went down, and I bribed my kids with soda if they would just let me take a few pictures during the"golden light" hour.   We ran from spot to spot taking pictures, trying to make each other laugh, and be silly till we reached the edge of the island.  The sun was setting beautifully and the city lights were gorgeous.  I never did get the "perfect golden picture"  In the end however, all the pictures were just "perfect".....and summed up our night.  














We stayed at the island for a long time.  We experimented with pictures, threw rocks in the water, and just sat.  It was kind of one of those evenings.....I don't think any of us will forget.  It was just the four of us from the family.  IT was  a sweet little "Harrisburg" moment.  One that we will miss as the years go on.  I hope that we will remember.

After the sun went down, we quickly realized many people were clearing out.  I started getting a bit nervous.  Quietly we picked up our gear and ran across the entire island till we got safe and sound to our car.  We probably looked like quite the sight...the four of us running.  

The kids were EXHAUSTED when we got home.  It was perfect timing for bed.  
Just how us Mom's love it!  

I don't always feel adequate as Mother.  I often think there are a million and one things that I am not doing, or doing "too" much.  I have a million faults in the motherhood department and I am the first to admit.  The one thing I find peace in is knowing at the end of the day through the thick and thin my kids are with me on a million adventures.  Adventures big and small, through thick and thin.

There might be craziness involved, like us running from spot to spot with my yelling trying to "get just the right light", or running across an entire island a little late at night.  But in the end we have each other.....my kids and I.  They along with Mike are my "stability", my "comfort zone",  my "people".  


No comments: